View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #41
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
From the responses so far it sounds like i need to find a way to do some fairly long test rides, if that's even remotely possible !

I stopped riding cruisers because the position hurt my low back .

The small wheels on the lesser sized scooters concern me .
If they are anything like the Lambretta's & Vespa's of old that would make them very spooky handling wise.

I do still ride fairly sporty in my old age, but have slowed down a lot in the last few years. Amazing at what you see when you knock off a few miles an hour and start to smell the flowers.
There are big wheel scooters. My SYM Citycom is a 263cc scoot with 16 inch wheels, a 60 inch wheelbase and an upright riding position. if I was a more normal size person I could have got a SYM HD200 a smaller 16 inch big wheel scoot that is a real pocket rocket; being as quick and nearly as fast as my larger machine.

I have found my SYM to require much less repair (almost none) than my bikes.

I owned a RT-80 for 10 years and the riding position of my scoot very much reminds me of my 84 BMW. If the Beemer is still good; why not keep it for the longer trips and get a nifty agile mid-size scoot for blitzing the twisties. There are deals to be had on noncurrent scooters. If money is really tight a used SYM HD 200 would be very inexpensive. I found that once I got used to my Citycom which didn't take long; my big bike has pretty much been gathering dust.

The handling on my scoot is outstanding. I often find myself cornering faster than I would have on my V-Strom 1000 without even trying.

Phipsd screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 11:13 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote