View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #535
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Mrs. SoPa and I hope to point our wee toward Sam & Omie's in South Nags Head this fall, man could we use a bowl of "She Crab" soup and a bloody mary made with Tanqueray gin and horse radish right about now! There was a time when I would jump at the chance of doing a night ride thru Michaux, but I have no need to repeat my mid air encounter with what I can only guess was one of our PA whitetales on the predawn morning of Monday June 25th 2001 while riding my trusty DR350S at a fairly conservative pace. The last thing I remember was what I can only believe was deer fur filling my Oakley googles, a split second later the lights went out for 20 minutes or so; still the hardest hit I've ever taken doing anything! A riding buddy and I were scouting out some new dual sport routes in Tuscarora, Buchanan and Rothrock State Forests on Monday and I was glad not to be leading the way as my buddy could have reached out and touched several of the furry devils on more than one occasion. Since that faithful morning in 2001, I've pretty much given up riding or driving at night for the most part, but I've had many a close call riding in the daylight since, which is why I always keep my front brake lever covered, my right foot ready to hit the rear brake and my sonar doing a full sweep of the road ahead at all times! Jack I have no plans for the first weekend of August as of now, so if you or anyone else is interested in playing in the dirt I'm in, oh and we found some great fire/forest roads on Monday and what I would call legal to ride two-track jeep trails with a half dozen or so creek crossings thrown in for good measure and all of it is just an hours ride north and west of Michaux; "The Rides Never Long Enough"!

Just call me Kunders; "Jeff Kunders!"

'94 DR350SER/'96 DR350/441SET/equipped with a set of '9? DR350 forks; yea it's a INBRED/HYBRID;
75 miles shy of 43K!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote