View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #3157
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Spot 2

I have both a Spot 2 and also a Global Star sat phone due to the fact that my cabin is way out of cellular range.

The Spot 2 was purchased when they first came out and has worked flawlessly on many trips and regular weekend use so I am always surprised at how many people report bad units.

Perhaps I just go lucky. I have some heart issues and live alone so when I am out in the boonies, having this is a big comfort factor for me and my grown kids.

The track me feature has worked from here to James Bay to Halifax to Edmonton, at the worst it misses one or so track points.

I actually lost my Spot a couple of years ago during hunting season when the crappy supplied case let it fall off my pack but I have the tracking feature and was actually able to go to the nearest village with public wifi, download my tracks, transfer them to my Garmin and go back a few days later to find it buried in leaves under heavy tree cover.

All I can say is it works well for me but I bought the sat phone so I could have 2 way conversation if some complicated sh*t happens.

Although you have a couple of buttons with less urgency than the 911, it is still likely to cause panic to those who you have designated so I want to be able to actually describe the need by phone.

The Gstar works okay, it was dirt cheap due to the limited constellation they had in orbit but that has been mostly corrected and there is decent service with only minimal gaps in my area.

YMMV

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 09:07 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote