View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #88
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
Uganda part 2

Part2....

From Misindi to Bwindi

Our next destination was Fort Portal, a small town situated South West close to the Congo border. Now, Niel and Silvie are bird watchers and very serious about it – they really tried to draw us in but for us, all is better on two wheels and chicken is the only birds we check out when ready for a meal! *We set out without our ‘back-up’ for a few days to visit with our new Dutch friends in Port Fortal.

Bush mechanic extraordinaire

We were on the gravel for 10kilometers and Elsebie’s bike again stuck its head between its legs like a stubborn mule. Again same story, the electric wire giving power to the petrol pump vibrated off, this time I cut the power outlet wires and extended it. We knew the drill and it only took us 20min or so to get going again.

Proud owner of this 125cc taxi, pimping my ride Uganda style

These guys needs special mentioning. There's thousands of these Pikipiki's running around as taxi's. Not long distance but between towns and mostly on dirt roads. The one remarkable thing about it, they carry easliy 2 to 3 passangers and the rider sits on the tank to make space for the passenger and luggage. They ride on dirt roads with these loads where most South African die hard dual purpose owners will think twice of going. They do not have knobby tyres or such luxuries, only normal road tyres.
There's Pikipiki repair shops in every small town and parts shops are like cell phone outlets, littered everywhere.

Trading in the Dakars for better reliable transport. Se moer kan ek Afrika op n 125cc doen.

Now these are horns!
The road toward Port Fortal is all gravel, grated into a rounded heap over the years. *To make a long story short – here is a picture of Elsebie’ bike with newly fitted, local indicators …

New 2011 Dakar

michnus screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 01:33 AM
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote