View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #256
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Elmer--

Just stumbled on this thread today. Don't know how I missed it since I've been laid up for a week with a summer flu and nothing to do but cruze ADV.

Anyway, your report once again confirms my desire to never go motorcycling east of the Mississippi. Though I'm thinking now of moving the demarcation line west to Denver.

Glad to see the rig didn't give you any problems. After reading Mighty Matt's troubles in S.A. with his BigBoi rig I was starting to fear that these big GS hacks are too delicate for long distance trips (apologies to MikePa, but we all can't be superhuman!)

Thanks for the trip report and the vids. Hope the trip home was enjoyable.

--Droney
Aye Droney..

Fear not, these BMW/DMC or CSM rigs do just fine, as long as you don't make it too "big" with the likes of Matt's BigBoy--and that the attachments are purely to and from the builders subframe > mainframe, nothing shared from the OEM engines bolts. nuts, pans, etc. There is nothing delicate, really...damn tough engine. Just make sure that you most often aim the bike through the easier pathway and basically forget the sidecar, let it bounce around. Do take heed with your speed. Of course have greater shocks on the bike and carry a spare shock for the sidecar, just in case. Oh, yes, I carried the kitchen sink, had just about everything to fix my outfit as well could provide road assistance to those solo riders if needed. Carried a total of 11.5 gallons gasoline and a full case of water...so I was on the heavy side..thus the slipping of going up hill on heavy rocky ascends. Go for it...do the TAT! By the way the Vredesteins 165/15 have served me very well...I am sure Matt can attest to that...so all ya guys..get em' while you can. Don't leave home without them.

Cheers..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 09:07 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote