View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #118
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
How do you shuttle back up river after you do a run? Drop the canoe off and go down-river to park? Leave the motorbike at one end?
It depends. I don't usually canoe rivers alone, because for me it's a way to spend time with friends. But if I was packrafting alone (which is more likely, since I'm the only one I know who has one) I could take my Land Cruiser and hitch hauler with the bike. Then I can just leave the bike at the takeout.

The bike is way faster than a vehicle for the roads I tend to be on, so that's my preferred way to do a shuttle. On our Spatsizi/Stikine trip it took me almost 8 hours to do with the Hilux and trailer what I did in under 2 with the bike (in the snow no less).

If I was canoeing somewhere there was people, and the put-in was on a road, I'd likely just hitchhike though.

In this case, that wasn't possible because of the remoteness of the area and the put in being on a dead end 4x4 trail. We put in right where it says "bridge out" and took out at the Murray FSR. Bill's wife and daughter were with him so we just dropped ourselves off at the put it, then she drove back to their campsite at the fall and put baby for a nap and met us at the bridge in 3 hours. There is no cell service here, but we successfully estimated the distance and time required for the trip by looking at this map and guessing the flow at the put in. We arrived with 5 minutes of each other.

Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote