Thread: Horsepower
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
they
Draining

Oddometer: 1,913
There is a lot to be said for old stuff. We gave up quite a bit when we went to huge tires and horsepower. My old Norton had skinny 4.10 by 19 tires front and rear. The steering "feel" has not been duplicated since. I used to slide that thing regularly on the street, and could get away with it because of the relatively low speeds and traction. The most fun I ever had on a street bike was on a cl 125 Honda with 2.50 by 17 tires. They looked like something from a Schwin. But on city streets, where the speeds never got over about 50 mph, the thing flat worked. I could slide both wheels around city blocks all day and barely be over the speed limit. And when I crashed, by the time I hit the ground, I was usually going under 25 mph. What that means is it was possible to ride a bike at its absolute limits on the street and live to talk about it. I always thought I would improve on that even more with my flat track/ TT bikes. Never worked out Too much power and speed. By the time you break loose a Goodyear DT, you're going FAST. If you crash at that kind of speed on the street, there is a good chance you will die. So you don't do it. Like they say, it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.