View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #2564
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Well, the company I retired from makes the anti-monkey butt powder, so I am aware of that. TRUE crusty old long-distance kilo-mile riders use this stuff designed for cows...

http://www.bagbalm.com

In the excellent technical review article that was posted on the 700 engine design, much was spoken of the requirement of the engine to meet a "mature rider's" expectations. Well, Honda, that extends to the seat as well. It is OK if the engine throbs a bit, but not "the boys". I don't think it is entirely a positioning problem, because lacking Mike Cash's refined deportment and genteel upbringing, I am not embarrassed to tell them when and where to sit. I don't like that the angle forces you down towards the false tank. I WILL solve this problem.

Further to improvement of the bike I will look to improve the budget suspension. Honda seems forever intent on providing too much springing and not enough damping. Or maybe I have just been on BMW's too long. The front needs a complete re-valve and re-springing and the rear shock needs replacement with an Ohlins or Wilbers unit. I may see if I can get one that will drop the rear by 16mm to put the ride height back where it started after the addition of a 160/70 rear tire to replace the 160/60. This will allow fitment of the BMW K1200LT specific Metzeler Marathon tires that run about 18,000 miles. The front is already the "correct size".

Givi is already cataloging some good stuff for the bike including the mounts for the G35 bags, a windshield, and engine guards. Revzilla confirmed to me that they can special order the bag mounts. I will check today whether the engine guards and windshield are likewise available. The Honda protection bar looks to be ornamental and they even advertise it's "rugged adventure look". I am not going for the look.

This will be fun. To those non-farklers who would say "leave it the F alone", I cannot. Farkling is hereditary, however, most of my stuff works out and that which doesn't is usually reversible.

beemerphile screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 06:33 AM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote