View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #125
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
Sure would be cool if!
1. There was a Traction Control over ride on the bars.
2. Rear brake was not hooked to the ABS. (Font is integrated so you would always have it)
1) Until they come up with software patch to do it on the fly it wonlt get moved to the bars. BUT a few people have just wired the switch into a bar mount setup.

2) The rear will "drag" but not lock. But I really don't know how you are supposed to do that unless you are using some kind of radar or sonar pick up the actual bike speed. At the moment you have to use the difference between wheel speeds on any ABS OR the change in deceleration. Could lead to problems either way. Wheel speed sensors are cheap and reliable. Radar is expensive.

On the other hand the small percentage of people that needed the ABS disabled AFTER TRYING IT just spend a few bucks and disable it. It works in most placed you dare to take the bike. Some people find this hard to accept that it is a big improvement over a others that seem to have issues. It is becoming more common on the newer bikes for ABS to just work pretty well most places including moderately bad off road conditions. 90% of people don't care now. The ones that care to try that is. It seems to be the one of those "general rules" that people won't let go. I have seen people stop before approaching a gravel road to switch off ABS. I can tell you that you have to get a whole lot more gnarly before you need to switch it off on the S10.

However whether by really clever software or something else it would be good to let the rear "drag even more" without loosing the advantages of ABS on the front.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 06:48 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote