View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #3522
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
$1500 an hour? Not in my territory - lately going to the movies is what I can afford - but that isn't as bad as I'd have thought. That's in the vicinity of a Citation Jet operating cost. My 435 lb hr. quote for the P51D is unmodded engine at cruise, not combat power settings. Aren't the unlimited engines putting out well over 3000 hp? For someone who lives but 200 miles from Reno and who's never been to the races, how much does a day ticket cost? Which day would be best to check it out? Most of its a nice ride for me too.
The fast guys are running between 3K and 4K HP. Exact figures are hard to come by.

The Air Races are September 12-16 this year, and the best day to go is Sunday. That's when the fast guys in the unlimited class pull out the stops. A general admission ticket will run you $29, and a pit pass (highly recommended) will cost $32. We usually bring lawn chairs and sit on the ramp in front of the GA grandstands.
Be aware that they won't let you bring in food, but a large, unopened bottle of water is allowed. Be prepared for every kind of weather imaginable. In the 40+ years that I've gone there's been rain, snow, sleet, hail, high winds, and perfect sunshine.

PM me if you'd like more info.

http://www.airrace.org/index.php

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote