View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #43
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
it's way lighter to maneuver than TDM and WAY weaker on engine. I mean specifically old 850.
I don't think it is any worse offroad than Vstrom 650 but could be less tough. In fact I am sure it will be less tough.

To answer earlier replica from Ham - here is example... in my previous long ride.. it was not Dakar at all. Just turned to contain quite a f...d up sections in what started as usual asphalt touring in Morocco - I went in with supermoto wheels and tyres... this bike would have left those lace-like cast wheels in first section in shapes of potholes and it's suspension and pieces of hardware on third corner. Vstrom of my friend was bottoming out like nothing else and was saved by fact, that I converted it to spoke wheels for him. He had to slow down to half our speed and struggled badly.
My bike (215 kg kurb) and GSA1200 and KTM (690 Suprermoto on spoke wheels) all with 220-250 mm suspension travel and beefy DIY or stock components were able to ride full trottle and avoid flipping over front wheel on those sections and felt pretty good. Long well damped suspension travel compensates for impact on wheels etc.

Thou why do it to 6000 Euro bike meant for something else is beyond my understanding. It will quickly lose all this fuel efficiency if used that hard offroad and short-shifting will be annoying. It's good at what it meant to do, why mess it up? Because it has X in name?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote