View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #1092
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
All right, I keep seeing advice to ride in the dirt first. I have no clue what to do on a dirt bike. I've seen a few of them on the atv trails but I wouldn't know how to go through those big puddles that block the trail or the really bumpy stuff. I'm 5'3" and not much of a wild rider :) so just looking at how high the dirt bike seats are is kind of intimidating.

I just checked on craigslist and it looks like I could get a kids dirt bike 50-80cc for about $500. Would that be worth it, giving me the experience on dirt that would help me as a n00b, or would it only be worth the belly laughing to anyone who would see me? I'm assuming I shouldn't use my street bike gear because it would get very dirty.
Dirt riding if you are starting out as an adult is dangerous beyond belief. The guys who advise this all started out as kids or teens & have this odd belief they are better street riders due to that. Even if true, the many falls they took as flex boned children (needed to learn dirt) will leave an adult crippled and crippled quickly.

It's not the size of the bike. It's when you bounce your body off a bunch of rocks at 30 mph is where the damage occurs.