last weekend I took some time to swap forks on my two Enduro bikes. First, I put the XR350R forks on the old XR200R. This gives me firmer forks (because they have larger tubes), about the same travel and disc brakes up front. Even though the stem bearing fit and match up, the XR350R stem is a bit taller and the threads to tighten the top bearing didn't reach. A trip to Osh to add some washers, and problem solved:
I'm going to convert these forks to Racetech cartridge emulators.
the second swap, is to add a XR500R triple clamp to the XR350R and add some XR400R forks I got off ebay. they bolted right on, with no issues. However, since the XR400R has a larger diameter front axle, the old front wheel won't fit. so I had to steal the front wheel from my bucket bike project. Still needs some brake calipers to make it work, but now the XR350R has some cartridge forks.
Getting ready for the next Enduro, I reviewed some videos I found on youtube from last year's race.
MRANN WSRA Wild Horse Enduro Toulon NV (Part 1)
MRANN WSRA Wild Horse Enduro Toulon NV (Part 2)
MRANN WSRA Wild Horse Enduro Toulon NV (Part 3)
I might have to go and practice some rocky hillclimbs....