View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #30105
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
After posting this as a stand alone thread in Thumpers I saw this thread pop up. Any thoughts?

Has anyone switched from a KTM 400/450/525/530 EXC to a Yamaha WR250r. Or have both? Would you mind sharing your experiences? I hear some folks are increasing power, lowering weight etc. of their WR250r's.

Considering trying a WR250r for easier maintenance intervals, better reliability and better street ability. I realize they are not supposed to be near the dirt bike as the KTMs, but the tradeoffs may be worth it?
I'm not certain exactly what you have in mind to do on it, but I will share some thoughts briefly, based on my experience with both.

The WRR is one of the best general purpose, true dualsports ever made. She'll haul your butt & gear in comfort for miles on end along highways & byways, dirt roads & two track....faster than any posted speed limit with NO VIBES (in stock form). She's not a bad single trail bike, but certainly no comparison to the far superior nimbleness & torqueness of the real woods racers, you have mentioned.

Get a WRR if you want to enjoy to and fro, and don't mind working a fair bit on the trails. Keep the plated dirtbike for the hardcore trail days, when you feel like trailering to the woods.

If I had to pick just one to do it all.....the WRR is it.

But fortunately, or unfortunately, I've reached the age where its permissible to have at least three.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 04:48 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote