View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #71
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I don't own one of these bikes but I like them and have been following this thread. My concern riding this bike on an extended ride is the small gas tank compounded by the fact the seat has to be lifted up to add fuel. I realize it's capable of getting good mpg but what about when it's loaded down with bags, luggage strapped on the seat, and ridden at higher speeds? Just wondering if you've considered utilizing some of the faux tank and plumbing it for auxillary fuel?
I wish it had a F650GS gas inlet, however ROK straps make removing a camping load a 10 second operation. It is easy to get hung up on the 3.7 gallon tank, but the range of over 200 miles is still adequate most places. My BMW holds 10 gallons of gas and I subscribe to the old fighter pilot adage that you can't have too much gas unless you are on fire. A gas tank for the cubby would be a cute trick, but most places south of the Yukon you can get by on this bike's range with maybe a 1 gallon Roto-pax if you are headed across Labrador or something equally remote.

As far as "higher speeds" , I don't see steady cruising on this bike over about 75mph. It would probably do it, but that isn't what I intend to do with it, and I don't think it would be good at it. If you are going to cruise all day packed down at 85 mph, I think this is the wrong bike. I plan to put it on some long (over 5,000 mile) trips, but the mission profile will be unhurried back roads and a moderate pack load.

beemerphile screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 01:37 PM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote