View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #1854
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

I see the pics and the mods of all of you guys, and there are some sweet looking pigs here. I was thinking about buying a DR650 for a second bike to use for longer rides, but a few deals fell through and now I am thinking about just setting the XR up a bit better.

My main questions are reliability, maintenance, and comfort.

How long are the motors/transmissions really good for, taken care of? I see a lot of conflicting stuff here all of the time, with numbers ranging from 80,000 to 20,000. Any rough ideas on when I'd be changing things like a crank, or internal transmission stuff? Piston and rings?

What oil change intervals are they actually good for? I know honda says 600, I've been doing them sooner and don't even have a speedometer or odometer, so I guess at this stuff.

Comfort wise, fix the seat, change gearing, and maybe a small bit of wind protection, right? Any recommendations on seat? Everything else I can figure out myself, but the stock seat is terrible. I have no natural padding.

I see luggage stuff being all over the map, and subframe concerns going every which way. It seems like I should be fine with the Giant Loop Coyote, right? Most of the breakage I've seen has been from way more stuff strapped on than just that. I'll probably have to strap a few things on the outside of the bag, maybe a tent, but nothing too heavy. Any and all heavy tools should be elsewhere somewhere, I haven't came up with a spot yet.

Thanks. I was kinda excited to have two dual sports and keep the XR light, but it's looking like I'll be better off spending some more money on her and having the 'one bike fits all' attitude.

Where to start... I'll try to stay in order:

1) A modified DR650 makes an ideal adventure bike. It tops my list right now followed by the X-challenge and KTM690 and

2) No idea what people are saying, but unless they have first hand proof I wouldn't take it for much. There was a guy on here from Japan I believe with 80,000 KM when he rebuilt the top end, then put another 40,000 KM on it before I believe it was wrote off.

I personally have 35,000-40,000 KM on mine. It's "loose" but still rips! Not a single engine issue yet.

3) There's lots of talk but few people get their oil checked. I run with 2000 KM oil changes and filter on every second oil change. I'm sure oil tests would show 4,000-5000 possible.

4) I run a Seat Concepts foam and cover. For the price I think it's pretty good. Haven't tried others so can't compare other then knowing it's a big improvement over stock.

5) Windscreens make a HUGE difference. Definitely put one on. Doesn't have to be large. Depending on your set-up even a cut down 990 screen works wonders.

6) Between myself and my friend we have 15,000 KM of HARD dual sporting with Coyote bags and no subframe issues. I did switch mine out to a steel subframe and have put on an additional 28,000 km's. (I was running a Coyote and Wolfman Expedition saddles). These have been tested on everything from gnarly single track, back road bombing to Baja at race pace, even included a 4.5 ft drop to flat.

By the way, 1.6 KM/Mile.

I've done some rides with others and depends where and what you ride. Locally I wouldn't switch the XRR for anything else besides maybe a 530 / 450 / 570 converted dirt bike. On the road the XRR sways more towards an offroad mostly bike. It'll do highway but it likes to be offroad. A DR650 can do both, and I would say it's middle of the line. The 690 and X-challenge are both expensive, modifications required as well (expensive), and open the door to much more to go wrong. Simple is key. No electric start, no batteries, very little electrical, blank sheet for customization = All good in an adventure bike.

Those that have and push FI haven't had a bike not want to run three mountain passes back into the back country. Once again, simple = better. You can fix a carb on the side of a trail with simple tools.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote