View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #1857
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Thank you very much for taking the time to type all of that. Excellent answer, and gave me at least some sort of idea for each of my questions/concerns.

Right now I have a borrowed KLR from a friend, he has my XR. We are both wishing we had something in the middle of the two for longer days. I'm liking the wind protection and smooth ride/power. He's loving the extra 20 HP and the 100+ pounds lighter weight.

I'm still on the fence between getting a second bike, probably a DR, or just putting more stuff on the XR. I'm thinking I could get the XR close to the long ride ability of a DR with the right mods. I guess the trick is to do that correctly without losing any of the off-road ability that the bike is great at.

Simple is better for sure in my mind. We still have the water cooling to worry about though, but in almost 20 years of riding water cooled dirt bikes I've never personally had a failure. I've crushed radiators before, but never had one leak. Both of my XR's radiators are actually squeezed in a bit from the previous owner, but it doesn't seem to cause problems at this point. I would like to someday add a KTM fan, DC power, and a cord for my GPS. I'm still running AC only on everything.

One of my complaints on the XR is vibration, and I'm sure a lot of that is caused by a worn chain, stock gearing, and the Trackmaster II tires. The KLR I have been riding the last few days is smoother, but seems to have similar engine vibrations if that makes sense.
No, the bike itself is holding in there just fine. No bolts rattle out (other than seat bolts?) and everything is fine. I've done no repairs to this thing other then normal wear items and a pinched oil filter cover o-ring. I do check the valves every 4000km too while doing the oil filter change.

By "loose" I mean the engine is pretty easy to kick over. The compression is still there, but the stroke between the compression is pretty easy. I can still do wheelies and powerslides at 90-100km/hr.

My bike has all the things you mentioned and every one is worth it. DC voltage isn't too bad depending on your existing electrical system and how it grounds. The fan and GPS power cord are great! I've never really had a problem with mine overheating, but I knew it was running hot and the fan adds peice of mind to that. I know it's cooling off faster when Im going slow, and at least keeping the temps at bay while stopped. I've rode in 44 degree heat in the city without any issues. Same with coastal humidity and Moab dryness (38 degrees).

On top of what you listed I have heated grips, 12v plug that I've never used..., and I think that's it. Oh! Another good thing about the GPS cord is you can charge a cell phone with it using an adapter. I've recently added a small battery under the seat to help smooth low RPM voltage and charge cell phones using the GPS cord at night. I have done and do a lot of random camping with this bike so that small source of power is great! It's not big enough to run accessories once the bike is shut off though. After about 2 minutes my HID will start to flicker (35w).

I think rad braces are a must as well. The stock skid plate on these are pretty good and the nice thing about plastic is they slide over trees and rocks (at least better than aluminum). That being said I have a Ricochet on mine. Rad braces are a must. I come from the bush and see a lot of crushed rads, some of them leaking, etc. Even being able to bypass one is a good idea. Otherwise cooling is good in my books. Keeps oil temps reasonable and requires minimal maintenance. The downside is its another thing to fail.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote