View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #210
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
No burn today after they realised the weather would close in and be unsuitable. Which meant that I could get a test ride in. Did about 100 kms of varied terrain, a few jumps, some rocky bits, and gravel roads. I wanted to get the rear suspension working through full travel, and make sure the steering head was all seated.

All good, no play in the steering head, and its steering sweetly again. No contact from the chain or css with my seal keeper.

I also had a new rear tyre to try, a Sava MC23:
http://www.savatyres.com.au/DualSport.html

I quite like the look of the tread pattern, which may or may not mean anything, but whatever. Not much use to DR riders as they don't currently list a 17". Firstly, the sidewall is short, so a 120/90/18 Sava compared to Dunlop 606 of the same size is the same width, but about 12 mm shorter, or 25 mm overall diameter less. I pulled the forks up 7 mm to compensate somewhat. First riding impression is that it hooks up well, finding grip cutting through the ball bearing gravel, and seems like a good match with the Scorpion Rally up front. More kms will reveal more.

Till the next installment....