View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Day 5, Section 6, Conconully to Nighthawk Border Crossing to Canada

Erik seemed to be sleeping well in the early morning despite his burn.

Wake up, buddy! Time to pack it up.

The whole town was crawling with deer. Big and little ones.

We headed out of Conconully and up into the dirt for the last time.

Honestly, I was very sad to be on the last leg of our journey. It's difficult to describe how this feels, but I'm sure that those that have known the feeling know exactly what I am talking about.

The day offered some great riding with some great friends.

There goes Mike.

Most of the forest around this area looked like this. Very dead.

Mike and Erik cutting up the roads having a ball.

Some shots of the ride that day...

We found this lodge in the meadows just off of Cecile Creek Rd. There was a cattle run near by, so I wonder if the lodge was used by cow hands tending the heard.

I really liked the construction of the corner of the cabin. Very earthy.

A cattle run nearby the cabin.

The deep, fairly good sized rocks in this downhill section proved to be a bit of a PITA. Good practice though, and once again, Mike beets the trail down like it's no big deal.

Dropping down out of the dirt for good. The valley down below was beautiful, but the mood was low.

Back on the highway headed to Loomis, WA we decide to stop at the Split Rock lake rec. area for a quick break.

We chatted with this character heading down to the lake. He was holding a kitten.

I have no idea what he was doing with the cat, but the poor little thing didn't look too happy. :-(

On the way to Loomis and Nighthawk, I noticed this statue standing along the side of the road.

Some kind of deep sea diver I guess. At any rate, it was pretty creative. Look for it when you do the trip.

Heading up the highway towards Canada.

There she is, the grand country of Canada.

Did you just fart, Terrance?

We headed up the the front door of the Nighthawk border crossing.

This building looked to be self sufficient with it's wind turbines and very large solar panel array.

Looks to be a little Canadian school building just across the border.

The three of us started and the three of us finished. That's all that matters in my book.

From the Nighthawk border crossing we headed east on the highway to hookup with hw97 headed towards Winthrop. On the way down, we noticed a lot of people down in the river dredging for gold. That looks like some hard work.

In Winthrop, we stopped in at Jack's Saloon for some dinner. This was my favorite meal of the whole trip.

We were all satisfied.

After dinner we packed up, fueled up, and hit the road headed for home.

I arrived home at about 2300. Satisfied with having done a great trip with great friends, but ready to sleep in a proper bed for the first time in 5 days.

This marks the end of our 2012 WABDR adventure.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote