View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #179
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 470
Hope Point

The next morning we had to decide where to hike; it was either out to Gull Rock or up to Hope Point. The decision was pretty easy,we figured the view would be better up on Hope Point so that is where we headed.

Photobucket

They start from the same path out of the campground. The path to Gull Rock follows the coast while the one to Hope Point goes straight up the mountain. It is one bitch of a hike. This is how one guy describes it:

This is one tough hike. If it were any more steep, you'd be Batman and Robin climbing up a building. They didn't even have the courtesy to put in switchbacks. But if you're in shape and up for the challenge, I highly recommend this hike for its excellent views of Turnagain Arm, the City of Hope and Resurrection Valley, and as you get to the top, the Kenai and Chugach Mountains. You'll also get a faint view of Anchorage across the Arm.

The trail starts just before the entrance of the campground. You'll follow the creek for an 1/8 of a mile and then- THAT'S IT!- VACATION'S OVER! You will constantly be going uphill with very little trail that is actual level. The 2 worst spots are the bluff and the last part of the ridgeline. But I definitely have to say that the views and scenery are worth it.

When you get to the top, if you have a mind to, the trail heads right into the heart of the mountains but I have no information of what's beyond the peak.

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/hikes/HopePt.htm

Length 5 mi
Elevation Gain 3,600 ft
Duration 4-8 hours
Top Elevation 3,708 ft

Yea, 1097 meters in 3 kms

Val had some second thoughts on the way up, it was brutal, the thought briefly crossed my mind too but I was determined to make it up.

We weren't quite up all the way and it was obvious it was well worth the effort.

Photobucket

Faint view of Anchorage? Not on that day. It was the type of day that makes a Colorado boy feel at home, minus the water of course. It was awesome to see Denali a short 325 miles (525 KM) away, towering above Anchorage.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We pushed hard and finally made it up to the top. Pointless, but well worth the effort indeed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was an amazing spot to just sit and take it all in.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But as you can see, the equipment wasn't ideal for the long range shots.

Photobucket

There was a nice view of the Turnagain

Photobucket

We just basked in the sun.

Photobucket

But we couldn't stay forever. At that type of incline, it is much easier to run down, as long as you are sure footed I suppose. In the loose stuff, the one foot under your butt and one out ahead trick works well too.

Photobucket

The light was crap for that one, but it was pretty crazy to think we actually took the time to walk up it, for no reason.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But it was obvious that this was reason enough.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 08:20 PM
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote