View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #264
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Aye Droney..

Fear not, these BMW/DMC or CSM rigs do just fine, as long as you don't make it too "big" with the likes of Matt's BigBoy--and that the attachments are purely to and from the builders subframe > mainframe, nothing shared from the OEM engines bolts. nuts, pans, etc. There is nothing delicate, really...damn tough engine. Just make sure that you most often aim the bike through the easier pathway and basically forget the sidecar, let it bounce around. Do take heed with your speed. Of course have greater shocks on the bike and carry a spare shock for the sidecar, just in case. Oh, yes, I carried the kitchen sink, had just about everything to fix my outfit as well could provide road assistance to those solo riders if needed. Carried a total of 11.5 gallons gasoline and a full case of water...so I was on the heavy side..thus the slipping of going up hill on heavy rocky ascends. Go for it...do the TAT! By the way the Vredesteins 165/15 have served me very well...I am sure Matt can attest to that...so all ya guys..get em' while you can. Don't leave home without them.

Cheers..
i figure i ought to weigh in a little bit on this seeing as i was mentioned.

i only have experience with CSM rigs (i don't believe i've ever even seen one from Jay) but ours is pretty freaking tough. we did have a few issues as we had a HEAVY "touring" rig built as opposed to a more DS style rig, this is largely our fault. we've actually already been in contact with Claude and are planning on doing some mods that will definitely make a difference. as far as the bike goes, however - the fact that our 1200 has tugged along a seriously heavy rig along these roads with only one issue of an oil leak (due to a shared engine bolt with the subframe of the sidecar)... i'm blown away. nothing but impressed with the BMW.

as elmer said, knowing your rig and having the correct tools is most of the battle. plus, being able to plan for your particular riding style before-hand is huge - something we failed to do down here in SA.

any rig is going to have a few hiccups given tough circumstances, but my view is that i spent the money to beat the crap out of it on an adventure. the TAT is waiting!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote