View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #59
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 885
this question keeps this site going ;-)

One of the best compromise I found was a 2007 te610. Proverbial drz with a 6th gear. Did a few hauls on interstate 15 and dirt was passable w some suspension mods. Other and best compromise is a xr600. Bout 294 lbs fueled with plenty of spank and reliability. Kick start no biggie nice seat a.d lots of torque. 60-65 mph comfy.

I'm not a subscriber of the 650 ride to camp, unload gear and explore school. For 1, the tires useful in dirt wear out too fast on road. 2. I'm too f*ckin old to camp in the dirt with an uncomfortable mummy bag and a few granola bars. Rather camp well out of a van as others suggest or my rv and ride out from there.

Basic issue is:
What are you? Dirt bike rider or "adventure rider?" If you are a dirt bike rider you have the skills or are working on them to get you thru the unknown unknowns. Best way to do that is on a light bike first. Dirt bike riders tend to be more mechanically in tune with their bikes and capable of more than routine maintenance, keep stuff longer before bored and generally prefer as little pavement as possible. I feel my xr250r is less safe on street so I ride most powerful light bike I can. Xr600.