View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #100
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I've mentioned it before, but one of the unique things that has been brought to light through this entire ISDE prep and experience thus far, has been the "Pay it Forward" concept. People that I would never have expected, have been very generous in either their time, support, well-wishes, or financial support. So many are people who are just interested in Josh's story, or love the idea of participating vicariously in some small way in the ISDE. To all of you, thank you. Josh has been overwhelmed at times seeing what people have done and how supportive they are.

Today we received a package in the mail, completely unsolicited. It was from the Larry Hamilton family in Montana. They had awarded Josh the "Gerrit Hamilton ISDE Memorial Award" in addition to a gift to help him in his journey to Germany.

Talk about making an impression on a kid that just turned 17 last week.

The Hamilton's host the Ought Six Enduro in Montana every April. They do this to support the sport, and raise funds and awareness for their support fund for aspiring young ISDE racers. Their son Gerrit was an aspiring ISDE racer who had his dreams cut short back in 2000 from a tragic auto/bicycle accident. Their other son William Hamilton has participated several times and they are truly an "ISDE family".

http://teammontanaisde.com/

After several friends kept telling us how awesome this event was, we made the drive this past April to Cascade Montana where Josh competed.

I also had the chance to ride with my youngest son Benji.

Josh in the Endurocross section at the Ought Six Enduro in April 2012.

On the start line with friend Greg Gillian, and Reid Brown (Greg is a mutli-time ISDE medalist, and Reid made the team this year as well qualifying out of Idaho City).

It was truly one of those absolutely awesome and memorable road-trip race weekends that are difficult to put a price tag on. We met the Hamiltons there, as well as in Idaho City. Incredible people who love their family, love the sport, and truly "Pay it Forward". Thank you!!!

mknight screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 09:09 AM
mknight is offline   Reply With Quote