View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #156
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
What powder are you using? I have a 112BT that won't really perform until I feed it loads using IMR 4064, with others I have tried, accuracy has been fair to poor, but any load I've tried using 4064 shoots 1/2 or less.
I have been using 40 gr H4895 for most of the time. This is a light load but seems to be as accurate as any. I just the other day tried 43 gr H4895 to be sure I was homed in. I also tried some Varget at 40 and 43 gr this week and it shoots about the same as H4895, but the 4895 granules are slightly smaller, so I like it better. H4895 is supposed to be one of the most temperature insensitive powders, so that is a plus. I have also tried RL-15 and it shoots about the same, but 4895 seems the best. I personally think that barrel/action temperature effects (along with barrel 'cleanliness') and vibration have more to do with consistency than the actual powders (for a good set of powders). Also, OAL has a lot to do with accuracy, especially with Savages.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 09:58 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote