View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #518
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
You know, it's often not changing the battery that fixes these little gremlins. For instance, mine plays up occasionally, the other night she kept stalling but what you need to do is stop the bike and then turn on the ignition. Once the lights have finished flashing open the throttle all the way and the close it again. Then turn off the ignition and turn it back on again. This resets the computer and normally fixes everything. That might be why swapping the battery fixes the gremlins, you're effectively resetting the system but the throttle trick is a built in reset you can do whenever you feel like it.
I think what you are actually doing is resetting the throttle idle point. Mine often fails to run correctly/stalls and over time it seems to be caused by the throttle not being in its normal rest position when starting the engine or starting the engine too quickly after putting on ignition and not allowing the throttle to reset itself correctly.
In my case, sometimes I forget to unscrew the throttle lock when I stop the bike.

Opening the throttle as you describe simply has the effect of ensuring the throttle is in its correct position when you turn the ignition on the next time so allowing the bike to correctly set that as the idle position.

Mike
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote