View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #267
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
My thoughts exactly. There is a DIN norm (don't know the number off hand, but trust me, there is a norm in Germany for EVERYTHING) regarding maufacturer claimed weights. It stipulates that all fluids must be on board which are required for operation (unlike the Japanese you used to like to weigh their bikes sans cooling water, brake fluid, or acid in the battery) plus 90% of the maximum fuel load. According to this, the ABS KTM Adventures came in at 231kg without crash bars or luggage racks which can easily add another 10 kg.
I thought KTM published weights were always semi-dry. That's including coolant, oil, battery but no gas. My experience has always been that adding gas to a KTM and weighing it gets you pretty close to the published weight plus the weight of the gas.

The semi-dry weight of the 2012 990R is 207kg. So looks like the bike has gained 6 kilos, give or take.

The Japanese published weights are always dry, no coolant, no oil, no battery, even then they don't usually match reality. I've read that sometimes the bike is missing tubes/tires also.

crazybrit screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 01:05 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote