View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Day 1 Houston , TX to Jackson, MS 395 miles

Day 1 Houston , TX to Jackson, MS 395 miles

We left the house at 5:30 a.m. on Monday 8/06 and headed east to Mississippi.

I had decided to take the toll road in order to miss some of the rush hour traffic. I had change so we could just ride thru one of the unmanned toll booths. What I thought would be a time saver turned out to be one of those “good grief” moments. The toll lane did not register our bikes therefore, even though I had thrown my money in the basket, the arm refused to budge. So there we sat. I am not sure what the people behind us thought but we decided to just go around the arm before we got run over.
Cam on frwy

We took mostly pavement so that we could make better time so there was not much to see or comment on. We stopped for gas and a bite to eat at Burger King yummy

Natchez Trace Bridge

Second gas stop

Ten miles from our final destination for the night, we hit rain. It wasn’t bad enough to make a stop for rain gear but it was a foreshadowing of bad weather to come. We arrived at Roosevelt State Park around 4 p.m. Our camp site was in the primitive area and came with a handy pavilion. It looked like more rain might be coming so we wisely set up our tents under the pavilion.

Five minutes later came a torrential downpour which included wind and lightning. The conditions were so bad that we still got wet under the pavilion. There was some flooding in the low areas.

The heavy rain lasted for an hour and it continued to rain off and on throughout the night. Despite the weather , our tents were dry and we remained in good spirits.

Stats

Elevation
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote