View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #51846
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,301
Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Just changed my rear tire, chain, both sprockets, and front brake pads on the V-Strom.

Did some other little stuff: degreased the hell out of the front sprocket area, cover, swingarm and such from 5 years worth of chain lube collecting there; replaced some missing rubber bumpers, checked all visible bolts, shit like that.

First ride after doing that, at speeds from 0 - about 40, the bike feels a little wobbly. It feels kind of like riding on a paved street that has been used by a lot of heavy trucks, you get those light ruts in the pavement that make the bike track in them and feel like it is a little twitchy is the best way to describe it. It's not as obvious feeling as a flat tire or bad wheel bearing. At speeds above 40 or so the bike is smooth and stable.

I checked the following:

-Front suspension, settings the same, travels smoothly, no binding or leaking
-Front wheel bearings, wheel spins easily, no side to side play, no grinding, all spacers appear to be accounted for
-Front brakes, checked all bolts
-Front tire pressure
-Fork "Superbrace", tight, hasn't moved from it's originally installed position
-Axle and pinch bolts tight to specs
-Rear suspension, setting hasn't been changed from what it was, no binding or leaking
-Rear wheel bearings, wheel spins easily, no side to side play, no grinding, all spacers appear to be accounted for
-Rear tire pressure
-Chain tension, front and rear sprocket bolts
-Stering head bearings, the steering head nut is secure and with the front wheel elevated the bars turn smoothly all the way through their travel

The only other thing I thought it could be would be tire balance. I never balance my tires and just have the guy who mounts them line up the balancing dot and call it even. I've never had an issue in the past and honestly I don't know what an "out of balance tire" feels like on the road. Whle checking all the other stuff above I scraped off about 5 wheel weights on each wheel which have been there since the bike was new, but that didn't change anything with how it felt on a follow up ride.

Any thoughts? It's just obvious enough to make me think it's a problem but I'm not sure where to look next.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote