View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #281
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
...My own experience on some pretty gnarly roads is that the current 990 Adv is probably a bit too heavy and overpowered for dirt road riding. ...
My experience is that all 9x0's are just about perfect and extremely entertaining for dirt road riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
IMHO, KTM might be better off building their great for the road but useless off the road 1290 Adv bike but supplement that with dirt capable 600cc, 160kg single and a 700cc, 180kg twin for 'proper' adventure riding.
I don't know if the 1290 (or whatever) will be useless for off roading-- the package seems to have enough of a dirt advantage over the other bikes in the category to still rank number one off pavement while gaining those pavement attributes that might push it to the top of comparos (for what that's worth). Frankly, I believe that a 990 with an R tune, 19/17 wheel setup, more comfortable seat, and little better wind management puts it at/much closer to the top right now. The MS12 will always be a better pure pavement bike because of the 17" wheels and big power motor.

I'd love a smaller/lighter twin as the adventure bike as well, but don't think KTM can take off a whole lot of weight from the current 990. Even putting a smaller motor into an SE kind of arrangement with a bigger tank wouldn't drop all that much weight; and by the time you "adventureize" (think Tiger & BMW 800s) it to the point where it can profitably sell you're at a similar weight point.

As far as having a bike for "proper adventure riding"- I'd submit that with all the things/trips you see people doing with the current crop of bikes (and not just KTMs) "proper" is more a function of the rider than the ride.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 07:42 AM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote