View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,839
This ride will begin at 9:00 on Friday and Saturday. We will meet at the Front Parking Lot.
{Both days will be to the same area, with Friday being an intro to the trails. We'll ride down the harder stuff before deciding which to climb. Saturday's route will be based on rider input from Firday's ride, assuming we cover most of the mountain on Friday. If there's a lot more left to show everyone after Friday's ride we'll just attack the mountain from a different entrance and keep exploring new routes. }

This will be a fast paced trail ride for experienced riders on lightweight (under 300 lbs) off-road oriented dual sports (plated), with fresh knobbies or trials tires. (I'd recommend knobbies in case it's wet, which is very likely up here.)

(Note: March 3rd update below)
The ride will begin with a morning warm up ride in the new Doe Mountain OHV trails. We'll go directly to the steepest, most technical single track trails there. Be ready for roots & loose soil on the new trails and plenty of chunky rocks on the old hills. Pack plenty of water & snacks for lunch on the trails. We'll break for lunch up by the Kettlefoot Fire Tower, and climb up for an incredible 360 degree view of the surrounding area.

We could spend the entire day at Doe Mountain, but there's a lot more riding to discover up here, so we'll head "UP". The trails will be rocky, steep, and at times will likely be going through a flowing creek for 100 yards or more....unless the harder route is still open, in that case we'll be riding down the creek instead. ( While we're up there I'll point out a descent which is too difficult for a group ride, but you're welcome to return and attempt it later. )

If there's any time to kill before happy hour we'll take the scenic ride across the mountain back to camp. Most likely we'll be taking the quickest route back.

March 3rd update: I just attended a meeting about Doe Mtn OHV and progress has been slow there. Between the wet & snowy weather and normal organizational politics the opening date of early April will probably be delayed. When it does open, it will be a "soft opening", meaning few new trails will be open by then. Also, the daily permit fee is set at $18, which seems a bit steep (IMO), but the annual permits are reasonable at $60.
I believe Doe Mtn has a lot of future potential, but will not be ready for our rally. Don't worry though...We'll just skip the "warm-up" ride there and head directly to the big hills. Instead of lunch at 3200' we'll be having it at 4200'...

I will be going on a number of scouting rides, from now until the rally. PM me if you would like to ride along. If you have the time, that will be the best way to learn the trails I'm familiar with and also explore new ones.

GlennR screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 02:31 PM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote