View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Up early and headed down the road to the Espinosa del Diablo, Spine of the Devil, the government is building a new toll road to take the traffic off this road but it won't be open this year. The highest bridge in the world is being built right now, it's just visible from the old road. The reason it's called The Espinosa is because it is 300 km of winding twisting road with corners that semis can't get around without taking 3/4 of your lane as well. In comparison with the Tail of the Dragon, TTOTD is a more technical piece of road but the EDD is much more of a challenge. You have to stay alert constantly for hours. Enough chit chat, the sky is blue, the sun is shining and the air is cool, on with the ride

Espinoza Del Diablo

There is no such thing as a guard rail for 300 km

One of the major landmarks of the trip encountered here

One thing I forgot to add, about 5 minutes after taking the picture I came around a corner there was a tour bus which hadn't made the turn. It's nose was stuck down a ravine and all you could see was the rear of the bus showing out of the bushes. The police were on the scene and things looked like they were under control so I kept on going. No I wasn't going to stop and take pictures!!

This is what happens when you tire and don't pay enough attention

I pulled off to get a picture and didn't look where my foot was going, the ground was a long way down and with all the weight up top over it went, the sad part was I had to unpack the bike pick it up and then repack the whole thing

Once you reach the turnoff for Tepic the road has become a jungle road but that's a story for another day

Next: slowly broiling in San Blas

Slowphil screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 09:21 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote