Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #25075
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I've been thinking about building up a budget road bike so that my Scott 'cross bike doesn't have to pull double duty anymore. The plan is to swap out the Ultegra shifters and derailleurs on the Scott for Rival or Force (11-32 would be mo' bettah for the steeper trails). The Ultegra stuff and my set of road wheels would end up on the road frame. Appropriate crankset, bars, stem, etc. would be purchased to round out the build.

I'd prefer a steel frame and have been considering the Soma Smoothie with a carbon fork, but I'm not opposed to a carbon frame, either. I don't have anything against aluminium, but my 'cross bike and MTB are Al and I'd like something different for the road. Any recommendations for frames I should be looking at in the $500 range?
Check out velobuild.com for ideas.

Used top of the line stuff from a few years ago is a good bet too. IF you're a 56cm kinda guy AND the guy that wanted me to go grab the Allez frame hanging in the garage decides he don't want it, I have a 56cm Allez frame for ya. 1" headset tho, so you'd have to source your own fork (Serotta still makes em. So does Ritchey) Its in so-so shape, but looks straight and not cracked. I got it for free, so IF the dude that wanted me to grab it don't want it, that's the price you'll pay too.

(its AL tho )

M