View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #63
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 37,296
They aren't just for the range anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
Those aimpoint thingies are good for bust'n paper targets and bowling pins, But I wouldn't wanna be look'n for a red dot against a brown back ground that's chargin'. That sounds like disaster fix'n to happen. I'll take the open sights.
Heavily abused and used in Afghanistan and Iraq-- Marines use Trijicons, Army is heavy into Aimpoints.

Plus even if the dot is off or fails you can still use the scope w/o dot as a very effective close range sight.

But to repeat what I said earlier-- for the OP (and hell it would be for me) Remington or Mossberg slide action shotgun with 18.5" barrel, duracoating (Alaska is wet, really wet) and an Ashley big dot up front. Load it with slugs. No other BS on the gun.

(For hiking I would delete the front mount flashlight)

Go practice a bunch with trap loads, get your administrative handling down pat. (another advantage of the 12 gauge over say .45-70) Then shoot enough slugs to be familiar with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 10:45 PM
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote