View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #653
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
The Ireland Tour

Peter and I had 4 days to see as much of Ireland as we could. Every dot on this map was someone offering a place to stay. This was only SOME of the offers!

August 16 Loughshinny to Enniscrone 190km

Peter and I set off the morning of 16th on a KTM 640 and a confused BMW 800 (it thinks its a KTM). Our plan was to take the less traveled path. The thing is about Ireland, the less traveled paths are often paved. Even if they look like a 2 track because moss has grown in the center. Try to avoid the center when on a moto.

The town of Carlingford

The "longwoman's grave"

Peter describes himself as "Tall, dark and Handsome"

Found some dirt!

Jim the owner of Ceol Na Mara and I

August 17. Enniscrone to Valentia Island. 454 km.
After crossing Ireland east to west in 1 day, it was time to do north to south. So after a great "traditional Irish breakfast" we headed south. We found some beautiful mountain lakes and roads on the way. The weather was amazing for us. Lots of sun.

Breakfast at the Ceol Na Mara. I think I would get very fat if I lived in Ireland

True story.

Arriving at the Atlantic Villa

Pints with Brian an Jackie (who own the Atlantic Villa).

"Transatlantic Telegraph cable laid in 1866 between Valentia Island and Newfoundland"
The Atlantic Villa was originally the cable master's house. It makes you wonder what kind of voltage they had to induce on one side of the ocean to see it on the other side.

August 18. Valentia Island to Watergrasshill. 248 km
Woke up with another amazing traditional Irish breakfast. I think I will have to get back to oatmeal soon! We plotted a course that took us over 4 or 5 different mountain passes on the way to Gunner's house. Lots of twisties to keep us happy!

Saying our goodbyes.

A quick tour of Valentia Island

The black specks are people surfing. You will have to take my word for it...

Lots of critters in the road. Peter would wake them up and they would run in front of me.

Ballaghbeama Gap

Gap of Dunloe

All these are his. Gunner is the man. You should see his collection of military motos. No pictures of them unfortunately.

August 19. Back to Peter's house. 340 km
We met up with a friend of Gunners to some of the mountains on the way back towards Dublin. It rained most of the day and there are no pictures.

August 20. Peter's to Northamptionshire UK (Rally Raid Products UK)
We missed the first boat at 8:05 because I don't know how to set an alarm. We made the second boat at 8:50. It was the fast one. So.. 2 up with all my crap, we decided to see Wales on the way. Wales looks amazing and I really need to go back some times. We had a schedule to keep so here are a few shots I took while we were moving.

Fully loaded GS.

Paul from UKGSer. Thanks again guys!

So...
Now I have been working on the "new" KTM 690. A 2008 with 16k miles on her. She has been from South Africa to the Arctic Circle. We will call her Katriana. John (ktmmitch) and his wife liz have given me a place to stay, food, a shop to work on the new 690 and many parts to get her ready. John's shop would make any man (or woman) jealous.

More pics of the bike and prep to come. I should be getting the licence plate tomorrow in the mail from MN.
I'm thinking Isle of Mann this weekend to catch some of the Manx GP...
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote