View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #28
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbutslow View Post
I can't imagine this bike not selling.
They've been selling them in Australia since they were released in Japan and they haven't sold very well, despite the huge market for 'retro' stuff here. You can hardly spit without hitting a Bonneville or Sportster and the Kawsaki W800 has sold in hundreds. (I own a W800 - brilliant bike - and an 07 XL Sportster myself.) The 1100 is around $AUS14K on the road - about the same as the entry-level Sportster, $1K more than the base model Bonneville and about $2K more than a W800.

Having owned about half a dozen CB750s over the years I was very interested in the 1100 until I chucked a leg over one. It is pretty enough in its way, but up close it is physically small, the seat is nasty, the riding position for both rider and pillion is nothing like a CB750, being more like a Suzuki Bandit, and the tank only holds about 3.5 US gallons. The single exhaust doesn't do much for its looks on the left side either. I'm a big fan of old bikes having started riding in the 60's, but this one just hasn't done anything for me at all, mainly because the ergos are standard modern stuff; not a good pillion bike. A mate had one and was very disappointed with it - the motor was OK but the rest of it - ergos, handling, fuel range, general build quality etc - was a big letdown. He has done ground up rebuilds on several K1 and K2 CB750s and owns a good selection of 'classic' Honda 4s in various models so he has had enough experience with the originals.

If you want to see some more pics, here's a link for the model on an Australian bike sales site.

CB1100F
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote