View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
The reason I ended up with a 14x7 is that it was the smallest trailer I could find with tandem axles. Each axle (in general) has a 3,500# capacity, if it has brakes. A single axle trailer is good for 3,500# and a tandem is good for 7,000#.

I also like the security of a second set of wheels on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
I have been busy so haven't spent much time on the trailer hunt but did stop today on the way home from Boston and saw a nice one, a 7x14 vnose but am stuck now on the size and think it might be too big?

My current trailer is 5x8 so 40 sqft and definitely to small.

I have been looking at 6x12's(72 sqft) but feel there a little tight for what I want so have been drawing plans for a 7x12 or 6x14(84 sqft), the 6x14 is not a common size but the 7x12 is.

So the trailer in the pic is a 7x14 (98 sqft so more than twice my current trailer) and seemed huge inside, I had a 7x16 before that was great as far as room goes but to big for my needs now.

The trailer in the pic is 1865 lbs empty so if I added 400lbs to it outfitting it and then 1000lbs of motorcycles thats 3265lbs loaded to go. Even 3500lbs would be doable.

Not sure if I should save a couple hundred pounds for a single axle (trailer in pic has brakes on both axles) and 14 sq ft, or go for the bigger trailer? I like the vnose with the drop as it should cut through the wind better.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote