View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
ADVtortoise OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Day 2 Sunday, August 12, 2012

The weather was much better today. We stopped at the Big Chute Marine Railway. This is the only marine railway still in use in North America. It is kind of the reverse of a lock. Instead of using a lock to change the water level, the marine railway lifts the boats overland from one body of water to the other. It just shows there is always more than one way to do something. I found this very interesting. It is on the Trent-Severn Waterway and the difference in water levels is around 60 feet.

But on the way to the Big Chute Marine Railway we came across a number of signs like these. There are a number of endangered snakes in the area and they donít want you running them over.

I also didn't do a very good job of getting photos of the signs.

Here are a number of photos onf the Marine Railway in action.

I also took a short video of this that you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFk0XugP8ko&feature=em-share_video_user

The terrain changes as you go north and you start to see a lot more rock.

We decided to go to Sudbury for the night. I wanted to stop at the Harley dealer and because Don didnít have any camping gear we wanted to go to a city that had a few motels. On the way we stopped at the snowmobile bridge that goes over the French River and is in the French River Provincial Park. The snowmobile bridge is right off the Trans-Canada which is also Provincial Highway 69 at this point. Being new to writing ride reports, I forgot to get a picture of the snowmobile bridge itself.

But you can walk over the snowmobile bridge and I did take some photos from the bridge.

Here is a photo I took from the snowmobile bridge over the French River of the the Trans-Canada Bridge.

ADVtortoise is offline   Reply With Quote