View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #1362
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Quite nice.
Good form factor for mounting on the side of a helmet.
Mic input is nice too.
The only unfortunate feature is the four-letter word printed on the side. If it's a Sony product, it will have proprietary batteries, proprietary software required to manipulate the data, Proprietary DRM problems, proprietary memory, proprietary jacks etc.

That camera could have a built in wet bar and BBQ a hamburger in 3 minutes flat and I'd still pass it up unless I had a chance to use a demo for a couple of weeks and make sure it actually does what I'd want it to do.

I wondered why there were some places having sales on the GoPro Hero2. I'd bet the Sony is at least valuable in that it will drive down prices.

I've had a fair amount of Sony stuff over the years and the most infuriating thing about their stuff is that *if* your needs and Sony's legal department agree, it will work fine. However the lawyers are always in there nitpicking on what you can/can't do with it.

It's just always the case with Sony.

Betamax about sums it up. Better technology, sued into oblivion.

I've still got a really nice Sony MD player. The audio quality is excellent and the media size was brilliant at the time. Sony locked it up with DRM and proprietary formats. Sued into oblivion.

I've got a really nice Sony video DVD burner that doesn't require a PC. Connect it to your VCR and push a couple of buttons and it will record your (S)VHS tapes to DVD. As long as it doesn't decide that home videos made on your own camcorder are copy protected. Then it will refuse to copy the tapes no matter what you do.

I've still got some useless Sony memory sticks around from the Sony camcorder I used to use for recording my rides. Today you pay $18 for 4GB Pro Duo, but for 4GB SDHC it's $5.

Don't even get me started on their voice recorders. The older ones require truly horrid proprietary software just to access the audio files, at a time when almost everyone else just offered a USB connection and a FAT32 file system.

Blueray just continues the tradition. They "won" the legal battle over HD-DVD. Want a Blueray drive for your PC? Fork out $90 to $100 and $2 per disk. Want a DVD-DL drive? $17 for a really good one plus $0.50 per disk. That's about what HD-DVD would have cost you today had Sony not spent millions to kill it.

I'd be very cautious about any Sony product. Definitely try it before you buy it.
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote