Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #810
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Holiday weekend brings them out in VA

1980 Honda CX500C - $650 (Lakeside)

Date: 2012-08-30, 9:00PM EDT

Reply to: xjxqq-3240499734@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1980 Honda CX500C with 26,247 miles. I love this bike. I did a 950-mile weekend on it in the Spring, no sweat at all. It has a new battery, new tires, starts and runs beautifully. Recently replaced the radiator fan, flushed and purged the cooling system, it stays right on temp. It's having some charging trouble right now. Because of the split-system design (like a plane), it will run as long as the motor is going. The stator only powers the accessories. You'll probably need to replace the stator, but it's an afternoon job. You can absolutely start and ride this thing home.

Super easy maintenance shaft drive (I changed the gear oil at 20k, ignore it until 40k). It gets looks everywhere I go, and the transverse V-Twin is always good for a confused look from the Harley guys. Because of the transverse motor and shaft drive, it's a torque monster. Watch yourself on gravel!

I wouldn't let it go, but I've got a new baby and no time to be playing with old bikes. Gotta get down to the business of being a Dad. :)

thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote