View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #3780
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bess227 View Post
looking for some input from some of you KLR gurus.

my new to me 99 and i have about 1k miles together now.........it had 3k on it when i bought it. it was basement kept, really a garage queen, had been put back on the road after a long sit by a knowledgable mc guy.

bike seems to idle a little rough, and i am getting about 48 mpg basically on a 25 mile round trip commute daily and another 150 or so additional miles each week. there have been no mods to the engine that the PO knew of. he had put it back on the road after a buddy of his died.

is this mpg about right for a 99? I am going to change the plug, as the PO said he had not (and soon do the doo).

is there anything i need to look for, or do, that will help it idle more smoothly? or help the mpg? it runs well under load at low speeds (as long as the rpms are up around 3k) and does well at 4k rpms at about 60mph indicated.

thanks for the help.

Scott
Not horrible but not great imo. I average 50ish with 14t front sprocket and relatively heavy throttle hand. When I was running 15 and 16t front sprockets I was getting 53-55mpg with the occasional tank over 60mpg. Even running 70 down the interstate I'd still get low/mid 50s. 10% ethanol 87 in the cold and 89 in the summer.

Tuning idle circuit will help with idle and decel popping, new properly gapped plug, make sure exhaust header bolts are tight, check carb boot. check/clean air filter, oil at proper level, tire pressure. The simple stuff can add up to several mpg.

Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote