View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 814
My plan for this trip was pretty flexible - I wanted to keep our days short, never more than 300 miles or 5 hours in the saddle. Goal for day one was to reach the Lake Vermillion Recreation Area that is just past Sioux Falls, SD-

Trying to avoid interstate as much as possible on this ride, but to get across South Dakota we'll have to hit the I-90 at least until we reach the Badlands.

What a beautiful day!! After so many months of planning it's feels so good to finally be on our way. I forgot how beautiful the midwest is in the summer.

Feeling Minnesota

Breakfast stop at McD's in Jordan, MN

Yeah, I know it's not a terribly healthy choice, but my kid just loves the play areas and while he's off in the hamster cage (see above) I have a bit of time to check emails and play with Google Maps and upload some pictures.

We've not the only bike on the road, but we're carrying the most luggage!

Self portrait

Random views from the road-

I'm diggin the proliferation of wind farms-

I90 West

Lots of other bikes on the road. I'd guesstimate 90% Harleys, 9% Goldwings, 1% "other"

On some of the forums I joined to plan for this ride people recommended I pull a trailer. I am SOOOO happy that I did not listen to that advice

A little spot of rain. Certainly not enough to dampen our spirits!

My co-pilot was all smiles

Welcome to South Dakota!

Thought about stopping at the Mitchell Corn Palace but decided to press on-

Approaching Sioux Falls

We made excellent time to Sioux Falls and found a nice camp site at Lake Vermillion Recreation Area in the early afternoon. Nice spot with a big lake, hot showers, a huge playground, and not very crowded- perfect!

Let's go swimming!!

Really nice playground at the Lake Vermillion site-

Welcome to our home for the next ~7 weeks

Day 1 complete! So far so good!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 08:46 PM Reason: trying to re-size pics...
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote