View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #56
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
Thanks for the comments guys.

ThinAir & Ratman…..sounds like you had your hands full. I hope I'm still out there riding when I'm your age. I reckon I've only got about 20 good Fall Seasons remaining (+/-). The leaves will be turning soon. Its how I measure it now. Something BigDog taught me not so very long ago. I took it to heart.

That southern most section has been cleaned up pretty good for a little way. Its has a nice stretch that's even big bike friendly. It a pretty ride. I'll point this out when we get down there.

Now, I've spoken with lots of people who've ridden the northern half of the Rainbow, but never a one regarding the southern part. Two hours & ten miles later, I'm forming a good opinion why. Long tough narrow steep rocky climbs….up and down, again and again. There was one particular downhill that forced me to stop and admire closely. I was concerned it might force a "point". So, the Berg & I proceeded with extra caution on this mean section of washed-out, off camber shelf. Those pesky overgrown bushes kept poking and grabbing at my handle bar and wheels, anxious to push me off the trail. But, I kept my boots clean!

No time to take any photos of that. Seems we never captured the hardest sections. Upon us without warning, we were simply "too busy". If the Pucker Factor could be plotted, it would look like a geiger counter during an earthquake. There are portions of trail out there which might make grown men cry. But the glorious rewards outweighed all the extra effort. The high mountain meadows and stunning panoramic vistas were absolutely breath taking. More than a "10", its a borderline 11 experience!

Courage, stamina, and skill....these are the requirements. Slow speed balance & control would be a plus. A lightweight dirt bike with a big rear sprocket might come in handy too. But leave the camping gear behind. Who's idea was this anyway?

This photo was taken at the Big Cottonwood trailhead (Rd 40). This would be the first of many trailheads (road crossings) to come. The Trail doesn't always go straight across the road, so you have to do some searching to find the continuation. This one had us stumped for a while. I think maybe someone stole the Rainbow Trail sign from the post at the bridge. Find 'em and hang 'em. Nuff said.

Proceed across this bridge and make a left turn. Then, go thru the gate. This is indeed the continuation of the Trail, though it seems you are entering private property.

Then, suck-up & buck-up for another long nasty hillclimb. This one will take a while. And, you'll need a good rest stop on top. We did…..and had a late lunch.

Hard to believe we had only made it this far. But the view was nice, and we were in no hurry. We had camping gear!

Honestly, there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 05:05 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote