View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #60
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
With daylight burning, we picked up the pace, and hammered our way through more nasty hillclimbs. Our 390 Bergs were eating this stuff up! Perfect for the mission, they were born for this duty, and we covered a lot of ground. We crossed Oak Creek, which is the northern boundary of the allowable two-track portion of the Trail. And had a good laugh. The Trail was so rough and mean, neither of us could imagine a 4-wheeler clawing its way through here. The question is not whether they could, but why? The Trail was rattling our brains out, as it was, on 2 wheels.

Lots of signs are posted along the way…..with too much information.

Its a bit confusing trying to figure out which way to go, sometimes. I keep referring to my map to sort it out.

And I'm elated we've made it to dirt…..real rockless dirt!

But its just a teaser. More steep, loose, rocky climbs ahead.

Then, disaster strikes…..the moment the guard is let down:

Captain Klingon will have to tell you this story. This one was a Mother of a climb!

We found a tiny stretch of flat ground at the top to rest on, before we slide back down the chute on the other side.

While resting here, we notice this tree, which I've leaned my bike against. Look closely at the top.

Early in its life, it was struck by lightening. Somehow the tree survived, and grew a split trunk around the original burned portion. That little stem in the middle was still charcoal black from the burn. In all my years in the forest, I've never seen anything like this before. It is located right after passing through a long uphill stretch of Private Land. I think it was between Ducket Creek and Gibson Creek.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote