View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 814
Good morning! Day 2 of our father and son epic ride begins!

Get your pants on quick- I'm dangerous with a camera and this could come back to haunt you when you're a teenager ;)

Breakfast is served

Cheddar scrambled eggs, baby carrots and Kristhawee snuck a marshmallow too >.<

Today's destination: Badlands National Park!

The theme of today's ride is "ROAD SIGNS"! (Because if you've ever traveled through Eastern South Dakota on the I-90 you know that there is pretty much NOTHING else to see...)

Wall Drug is an institution! For someone who's never been there it's quite difficult to explain just what the heck all the fuss is about, but since it's beginning as a small drugstore in the tiny town of Wall in 1931 it's grown into what the New York Times describes as, "a sprawling tourist attraction of international renown [that] takes in more than $10 million a year and draws some two million annual visitors to a remote town"."

I later read that Wall Drug spends close to to half a million dollars a year on their infamous billboards which are located around the world but become more and more common the closer you get to the town of Wall.

Badlands National Park only has one campground, and it's a bit miserable, no trees, no shade, close to the road and very exposed. I was told that the nearby KOA in White River is just 4 miles from the park, infinitely more pleasant and sports trees, grass, WiFi, a playground and even a pool. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Wall Drug!

What 5 year old boy isn't in to dinosaurs? This billboard certainly piqued my son's interest.

Harvey Dunn? Had to look that one up- a famous painter from South Dakota apparently...

Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call a visit to Wall Drug "Priceless", but it did sum up quite well my feelings about spending the entire summer with my son. I feel so very fortunate that I could take the time off from work and take him on this adventure. The memories and the experience are absolutely priceless!

Kristhawee kept asking when would we see a real cowboy. I promised him it wouldn't be long.

The exciting view as you head west on the I-90. Zzzzzz... Have never ridden a bike with cruise control before. Have to say, that for stretches like this, it does come in handy.

Timeless...

Other businesses have tried to imitate Wall Drug's advertising style too-

I guess imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery?

Oh, I should mention, I've got a strange fascination for old derelict buildings, especially barns, so you'll be seeing quite a few in this report...

This smelled like a bit of a tourist trap, and anyway we're on a bike so it's out of the question, but my son was excited to see his first "bear"...

My son and I had intercoms in our helmets so we could chat and listen to music and we quickly started a game where whoever would see something "different" would shout it out. So it would be something like "BARN!" or "COW!" or in this case---

"HAY!!!"

A silly funny game that we played all summer long

2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:27 AM
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote