View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #17080
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Do any of you suffer from insomnia (not being able to fall asleep)?

I have never had an issue with this, but here lately over the last couple of mos. I find myself just laying in the bed, tossing and turning, just waiting to nod off, Sometimes I do, but lately I do not. Last night was a good example. I got out of the bed (twice) and went out in the garage, drank a couple of beers, and settled into the family room couch hoping that I would just pass out. That never happened... so I basically just came back out here and stayed for the rest of the night just piddling around. In other words, I didn't sleep a wink last night.

I'm trying to figure out what might have brought this on. Back when I had a real job, the mental stress simply wore me out, and I usually passed out within 5 minutes of laying down. Today, that ain't happening. I'm trying to figure out if I am suffering as the resort of some sort of trauma that happened in my life (PTSD?) . possibly caused by the untimely death of my son and what I saw that fateful day, or what? I now go to bed with the fear that I won't go to sleep, and in that regard, unfortunately, I have not been disappointed; I usually don't.

There are no issues in this family that might have brought this on. All the bills are paid, we essentially have no debt what-so-ever, and what income we do have through Social Security and the meager garage income has kept us sufficiently afloat and financially solvent. In addition, there are no medical issues for any of us that I am aware of that might manifest itself into what's going on.

I really hesitate to seek professional help and some sort of crutch (sleeping pills or some other sort of medication) to allow me to simply dose off, and will not do that unless it boils down as being a last ditch effort should this thing not resolve itself . Suffice to say, it's driving me nuts. I damned sure I'm not worrying about where the next Friday RTE will take place.

Thoughts?? Blurt it out, or simply PM me.

I had a brief run with that during grad school. What worked for me was some combo of two things: 1) I totally monkeyed with my schedule, which I kicked off with a 4-day trip during which time I kept busy, and 2) I started kickboxing 4 days a week. If kickboxing isn't your thing, maybe running? Last year I got my body acclimated to the shock of running using free podrunner interval training MP3 downloads.

I hope you kick it soon!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote