View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #1173
Ahboon
Re-Cycled

Oddometer: 17
Avoiding undesirable cross-road meetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
I'm doing some research on what would be more helpful to know at a person’s start in motorcycling versus learning it over years in the "school of hard knocks".

Things like..."Don't transport a bike on the centerstand. It might break the frame". or "Standing up on the pegs or at least putting more pressure on them makes the bike less top heavy and better to control at low speed".

Could you help my research by answering the following question...”What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?”

Thanks. Mark Tillack
Brinkhaven, OH(USA)
Hello Fellow Riders:
I am new to this Forum but not to motorcycling. (71 Years of age and 53 years of motorcycling).
One vital lesson (inter alia) I have learnt and yet to see mentioned is the relative angle between vehicles at intersections/cross-roads, particularly rural roads crossing a highway. On a Highway, as you approach a crossing rural/secondary/county road: -
CHECK THE ANGLE BETWEEN YOU AND ANY APPROACHING VEHICLE ON THE RURAL ROAD.
IF THE ANGLE DOES NOT CHANGE YOU WILL ARRIVE AT THE INTERSECTION AT THE SAME TIME.
"Hayseed Hank" in his '78 F100 may not see you because you are "shadowed" by a door pillar, mirror or some such and will remain so until the last second. Hank is in the habit of not stopping at the "Stop" sign if he thinks the road is clear so will just cruise right on through crossing the highway at his normal speed....!
(Apologies to anyone named Hank or Hayseed, etc.)

Cheers,
Ahboon
[There is no joy in arrival, but there is in JOurneY]
Ahboon is offline   Reply With Quote