Thread: New [to me] Rig
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #33
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Claude:

Thanks for posting the pics of my rig at your place getting the sway bar. It really makes a difference. Boondox is right about that.

And before anybody asks from looking at Claude's photos: No, Elmer did not include Sharon as part of the deal. I'm hoping that my wife enjoys the rig as much as she.

Since I last posted - left Claude's and headed to Ann Arbor to see my niece. She thinks the rig is cool!! Then headed north to find US2 in the UP. Here's the north end of the Mackinac Bridge

[IMG][/IMG]

Went west on 2 to Bemidji, MN, where we saw Paul Bunyon and Babe the Blue Ox - Lake Bemidji in the background - it's the northern-most lake on the Mississippi River. Where 2 crossed the River it was, oh, maybe 10 feet wide.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I decided to take a short (1000 mile?) detour and drop south on mostly secondary roads, including a long empty stretch on US 85, to see Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial.

I find the latter to be much more impressive - it's HUGE and very special to the Lakota. Still lots of work to be done and progress is slow. The sculptors accept absolutely NO state or federal funds. ALL privately financed. If you are in the area don't miss Crazy Horse - it's only about 15 miles from Rushmore.

The picture does not do it justice. They wouldn't let anyone drive on the gravel road you see in the photo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Today I planned on going north via US 212/87/89 to rejoin US2 and go to Glacier NP for a run over the Going to the Sun highway (weather permitting). Unfortunately, I got a two-day unplanned rest while the folks at Sturgis BMW get a new speedo-tach-info display unit shipped in and installed. Hope you can see from the photo that I was driving the Fastest Hack in the West. I mean BMW speedos are always a little optimistic, but this was ridiculous.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good thing is that it gives me time to update this thread, ride around the Black Hills some more, and do laundry.

This has been a good trip, speedo units notwithstanding. A lot different than riding it on a solo bike, but lots of fun. I'm really glad Elmer let me buy Ingrid/Brunhilda. . . altho there will probably be a renaming ceremony when I get home. And I'll have to change my avatar.

dholaday screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 02:52 PM Reason: typos
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote