View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
ADVtortoise OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Day 5 Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Nice weather today. After cooking breakfast and leisurely packing up, I headed towards Michiganís Lower Peninsula. I took two-lane highways that basically ran parallel with I-75 in Michiganís Upper Peninsula to St. Ignace.

This is typically of the roads I took to St. Ignace.

I didnít see much wildlife on this trip, but I didnít really ride at dusk or dawn when the wildlife is usually out. That is OK, as the last thing I want is to literally see a deer in the headlights. On the highway to St. Ignace there was a ruffed grouse just standing by the side of the road as I rode by. I never saw a ruffed grouse standing by the side of the road before. I turned around to try to get a photo but he decided he had been standing around long enough, so no photo.

In St. Ignace I had to stop and get a pastie. If you have never had a pastie and ever find yourself in Michiganís Upper Peninsula, do yourself a favor and get one. A pastie is a pastry filled with diced potatoes, onions, rutabaga, carrots, salt, pepper, and usually beef. It is a complete meal although you can put gravy on it if you want.

The story is that the Cornish miners that came over to work the mines in the Upper Peninsula brought it with them. They used to wrap the hot pasties in a towel to take with them to work and they were still warm when it was lunch time. There are quite a few pastie shops around St. Ignace. Over the years I have had pasties from a number of different shops in the Upper Peninsula and they are all a little different but every one I have ever had was excellent.

So when I saw this sign I had to stop.

And here is the pastie.

To my horror there was no rutabaga in the pastie. I donít know if you can officially call it a pastie if it doesnít have rutabaga in it. By this point I was committed, and hungry, so I ate it anyway. While I still felt a little like I was mislead, I have to admit it was very tasty.

After lunch I headed over the Mackinac Bridge which connects Michigan's Upper and Lower Peninsulas . The bridge was opened in 1957 and it is still the third-longest suspension bridge in the world. It is truly an engineering marvel.

The Mackinac Bridge is a four-lane bridge. The center two lanes have grating instead of pavement, which I believe is to save weight. However, there was construction in the outer two lanes on most of the bridge. This meant I had to ride on the grating for over a mile. The bike did not like that -- it was very squirrelly. Being on a motorcycle also meant I could look down 200 feet through the grating to the water below to distract myself from the squirrelly handling.

Once in the Lower Peninsula I headed over to Cycle-Moore campground. Cycle-Moore is a motorcycle campground that I had never been to so I wanted to try it out. Cycle-Moore is by Interlochen so I took U.S. 31 most of the way, which took me along Lake Michigan and both Little and Grand Traverse Bay. Here are some photos on the way to Cycle-Moore.

I made it to Cycle-Moore, which is an independent motorcycle repair facility and motorcycle campground.

I will talk more about Cycle-Moore in my next post. It was a very enjoyable 199 miles today.
ADVtortoise is offline   Reply With Quote