View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #573
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
Sorry for the noob question but how do you get a moon pic this clear?

I tried last full moon but all I got was a light spot...

I know my compact camera is old and rather limited (canon powershot a720is) but it can take a clear night pic.

I tried the max exposure time of 15 seconds and experimented with several f values but none was good... I used a tripod, of course...

I am still in the very early stages of understanding the photography so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
I took a look at the EXIF data for those shots and can tell you that he used 1/250 sec. exposure time with f6.3 (aprature priority) on a 200mm lens connected to a Canon 5D Mark II

The moon reflects a lot of light - longer exposures are not always better. That might be a good starting point for your experimentation. Also, any of the EOS series can do either an average light meter reading, or a spot meter reading (actually several more settings as well) which help the camera determine how much light is needed for a particular shot.

Good luck. Moon shots are beautiful but take a bit of work to finally find what works best for your camera (you'll notice I've not posted any )

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote