View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #2192
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,676
Thanks Dan

Good point! I agree 100%
If you look closely you'll see the restraint brace I built that goes over the battery has 4 l-shaped pieces of aluminum bolted to it. Those brackets are what the protective cover will bolt to during final assembly.

[

I want no chance of something being in the cabinet and getting jammed between the posts in an accident dead shorting 330amps and catching the van on fire. The batteries will be completely isolated.

As you probably noticed I over engineered the battery restraints a bit. That's 210 lbs of lead I don't want flying around the cabin in a crash. The double rails at each end let me tie into the factory hard points in the frame so that the batteries are into the frame of the van. With my brace system I'm sure the van could be upside down and those batteries aren't going anywhere. Some RV setups I've seen are pretty scary - yeah I trust that 1/4" sheet of plywood with 1x2 softwood frame and penny nails to keep that 70 lb battery from hitting me in the back of the head when I rear end someone

Geek screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 05:34 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote